Saturday, March 3, 2012

R.I.P. Sheldon Moldoff

I don't write something about everyone whose work I loved and/or respected, but occasionally, I feel like it would be a huge oversight if I don't say something. We learned today that Sheldon Moldoff passed away on Wednesday at the age of 91. Shelly had work in Action Comics #1, was the first "definitive" Hawkman artist, and ghosted Batman for Bob Kane for years. I've gotten countless hours of enjoyment from Shelly's work and the characters he helped define. There is a good chance you have, too.

I don't have any deep thoughts to share about Shelly, so I'll link you to this Tumblr post of mine, which has a reblog of one of Shelly's commissions and a link to Mark Evanier's post on the man. There's already been traffic on this blog of people looking for his work, and there are a few scans of it in the archives.

Goodbye, Shelly. Ninety-one years still doesn't seem like long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment